UNIVERSITY OF PATRAS – ACTIVITIES & CAPACITIES
UPAT is one of the leading research and teaching institutions, and the third largest in Greece, constantly aiming for excellence through the creation, utilization, transfer and application of knowledge. In 2014, the University of Patras celebrated 50 years of Academic operation, marked by continuous development and constantly emerging new achievements.
Its success is built on a strong partnership with its students and academic staff and a clear focus on high performance, enhancing UPAT’s position as a world-class university with a strong academic reputation and a commitment to excellence.
It consists of 24 Departments, 14 Clinics and 112 Research Support Units & Laboratories.
UPAT has acquired international prominence for pioneering and wide ranging research in areas such as Environment, Health, Biotechnology, Engineers, Electronics, Informatics and basic science. A number of its Departments, Laboratories and Clinics, have been designated as Centers of Excellence, on the basis of international assessment.
UPAT provides students with opportunities, choices and support that will enable them to achieve their individual aspirations and to become leaders in their chosen scientific fields, by continually discovering and practicing innovative approaches to fostering student engagement and employability.
Towards this direction, UPAT has established the Research, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Unit, in order to inform and support the research community contributing actively the development and the fostering of research and technology transfer as well as the encouragement of entrepreneurship, taking all necessary initiatives to claim funding from national, European and international resources, as well as to divert knowledge and strengthen cooperation with the production sector.
- Technology Transfer Office services
Technology Transfer Office is an integral part of the Research, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Unit of UPAT and it is responsible for the transfer of technologies from Campus to the commercial sector so that the public can directly benefit from the ingenuity and creativity of our outstanding researchers.
In order to bridge the gap between research and innovation, the Unit:
- Provides access to new and improved devices, drugs, services, etc., all contributing to the improvement of people’s living quality.
- Seeks the most efficient ways to take a concept developed by our inventors and turn it into a product useful in everyday life.
- Promotes, protects and manages the intellectual property developed by faculty members, students and other researchers
- Evaluates inventions, manages the patent portfolio, negotiates technology licenses and assists UPAT students with the creation of startups.
The Unit effectively transfers university technologies to the market so as to generate benefits for the University, the community and the general public, through the following actions:
- Organizes events in the field of research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Organizes every year the Technology Transfer Exhibition – “Patras Innovation Quest- PATRAS IQ” with 3-day duration including:
- Innovative products
- Innovative SMEs’ products resulting from collaboration between universities and research institutions
- Program of events and workshops related to innovation and entrepreneurship
- Collaborates with business executives to provide consulting and legal support to research groups.
- Collaborates with students and student organizations to plan innovation and entrepreneurship events & workshops aimed to students.
- Develops mechanisms for collaboration on creating new products.
- Informs on Funding Opportunities and Collaborations (Information on funding sources, Information on events, info-days or seminars on current and upcoming calls for proposals, Support for planning and preparation of R&D proposals).
- Networking with relevant National and European organizations.
- Reinforces networking actions among the researchers of the University of Patras. Further networking actions at regional and international level – Strengthening International Cooperation
- Fostering Entrepreneurial knowledge especially for students and researchers (Organizing relevant training).
The Technology Transfer Office has stemmed from UPAT’s previous large project which aimed actively at the endorsement of entrepreneurship and the interaction of research with the markets.
The “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit” (IEU) of UPAT was implemented under the Operational Programme “Education and Life Learning” and funded by the European Union (European Social Fund) and National Resources. The actions aimed at the promotion and cultivation of entrepreneurial culture to young scientists.
With the collaboration of representatives of institutions and startup companies, mentors, business consultants and faculty members of the UPAT, IEU successfully managed to:
- Set up a positive entrepreneurial and innovative environment at the community of the University and especially students
- Encourage new, innovative ideas and entrepreneurial initiatives of young people and students
- Develop of entrepreneurship, innovation, business competitiveness and regional development.
- Develop business attitude and culture in the student population
- Promote innovation and entrepreneurship as employment prospects
- Encourage and support innovative business ideas
- Enhance cooperation between academic community and business practitioners
- Promote research in the field of entrepreneurship
IEU, during the period of 2012-2015, implemented a series of actions, such as:
- Entrepreneurship Events, Open Seminars, Mentoring Days, Startup Meetings
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship Seminars
- Entrepreneurship Development Workshops
- Entrepreneurship Courses
- Visits to well-known firms and productive units
- Mentoring services
- Teaching courses in Entrepreneurship
…gaining vital experience and knowledge in order to continue the provision of such services to our network and researchers.
A lot of important facilities are placed at the University Campus such as the:
- Central Library,
- Conference and Cultural Centre,
- Vocational Training Centre,
- Student’s Residence Hall and the Sports Centre,
- Regional University Hospital (one of the largest public hospital in Greece) affiliated to the Department of Medicine.
- Degree in Business Administration
- Degree in Business Administration of Food and Agricultural Enterprises
- Degree in Cultural Heritage Management and New Technologies
- Degree in Economics
- Sc in Applied Economics and Data Analysis
- Sc in Business Administration (MBA)
- MBA in Business Administration of Food and Agricultural Enterprises
And more at: http://www.upatras.gr/en/departments
Christiana Leontiou: email@example.com
Stavria Mathiou: firstname.lastname@example.org