- What is it?
The SEC2U is an initiative to showcase the commitment of European universities to create a strong culture of entrepreneurship and innovation across the university community.
The initiative brings together entrepreneurs, businessmen and representatives of local universities and government for one week: to showcase local universities; opportunities and support for businesses; success stories and cases of failure as a way of learning; and allow time for networking and to make contacts among participant.
SEC2U had its first edition in October 2016, from the 17th to 21st .
SEC2U had its second edition in October 2017, from the 23th to 29st .
This year, it is aiming to create a series of events all over Europe in the week of December 10th to 14th , 2018.
- Who is involved?
The SEC2U is promoted by the Startup Europe University Network (SEUN) members. This network includes Universities, technology parks, and support organisations that participate in the research and innovation space from across Europe and beyond.
- How is it being organized?
The SEUN members promote the SEC2U and encourage local co-organizers to work together, sharing the main goals and the philosophy of the initiative. Local co-organizers are in charge of the organization of their individual events, having the support from the rest of SEC2U organizers.
As a SEC2U co-organizer your main job is to recruit the local entrepreneurs, universities and authorities as well as organize and promote the event in your city/region.
To achieve the objectives of the initiative there are some mandatory elements to be accomplished:
- Event is free of charge for the participants.
- Focused on the regional/local level.
- Start the event with a brief contextualization of the initiative as a part of SEC2U promoted by SEUN supported by the European Commission.
- Include one or more presentations of representatives of local universities in charge of entrepreneurship, innovation and knowledge transfer, as well as local government representatives to present the local opportunities and support for businesses.
- Include an example of local success stories (startups, spinoffs, researchers working in companies…) and, if possible, to present a case of failure as a way of learning.
- Allow time for networking and to make contacts among participants.
The central coordinating team of SEC2U and the European Commission will support your event and provide you with additional resources to make sure it will create impact and be successful by preparing a “living” guideline as a reference for creating your event and by supplying you with dissemination material.
- Potential impact on the universities and the startups ecosystems
Our goal is to reach 3.000 entrepreneurs in 40 SEC2U events with at least 40 participants (local entrepreneurs/business owners/students) in each event.
If you believe a larger event (or more than one event) would be beneficial to the entrepreneurs in your university’s area of influence, feel free to organize it. We just want to make sure we have at least one high-quality event per university participating in the SEC2U action.
Create your own event as part of SEC2U 2018: http://startupeuropeuniversities.eu/sec2u-2018-join-us/
Organizers Guidelines: http://startupeuropeuniversities.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Guidelines-SEC2U-2018.pdf
More information about 2017 SEC2U events: http://startupeuropeuniversities.eu/sec2u-events-2017/
Emilio Corchado | Eva Santolino, University of Salamanca
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com